Imaginary Brazilian Revolution

Brazil is a state of carefree serenity. Brazil is attained by forsaking sanity.

Return . . . I will . . . to old . . . Brazil.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Will pronouncing report "repor" ever stop being funny?

I don't think so. I get a kick out of it every time Stephen Colbert says "Welcome to the Repor."

I also never get tired of his intro with the eagle flying around and him waving the flag, then him standing on a map of the U.S. while the camera circles around him and he follows it with his face but his feet stay in place, then the eagle screech. Why is that still funny?

Everything about that show has remained funny longer than I expected it too. I didn't think that that macho, self-certain, Bill O'Reilly persona that Colbert adopted would last long before it got old. But several months in I stll like it. And the interviews, while not always quite right, can still be great, especially if the guest is playing along and not doggedly trying to make any coherent arguments.

I think the best guest I've seen in terms of dishing it out and playing along, but in a subtle way, was the semi-anti-feminist author Caitlin Flanagan. I can't really remember the details of the interview but I remember that that vociferously liberal audience was thrown for a loop. They seemed really nervous, like they weren't sure that Colbert was winning (his way of winning is definitely unique, but like Jon Stewart, when he speaks with a conservative, he's out to win).

Another joke that I'm not sure will ever get old is at the end of every "Better Know a District" feature, he says, "Let's put it on the map," and you just see a tiny sparkle. I will always think that's funny.

I was thinking the other day that in twenty years or so I'll probably look back nostalgically at the days of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. Jon Stewart will probably be doing lame jokes on the Late Show with Jon Stewart and I'll be lamenting the fact that he lost his personality when he left basic cable. Stephen Colbert will be doing lame comedy bits on the Late Show and I'll chuckle at the thought of him calling his old show the Repor.

11 Comments:

At 5/19/2006 6:50 AM, Anonymous Susan M said...

I love Stephen Colbert. I was a little dismayed to find myself loving his show more than the Daily Show, but then I realized the main reason I liked the Daily Show so much was the two Steves. Now they both have their own awesome shows.

He's so good at staying in character sometimes I can't tell if it isn't really his opinion he's spouting.

Did you see the clip of him giving a speech at some government dinner in front of Bush and everything? Hilarious! I can't believe they asked him to.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-869183917758574879&q=stephen+colbert

 
At 5/19/2006 8:22 AM, Blogger White Man Retarded said...

I love the part when they're flashing his attributes in the opening credits and one says 'Lincoln(esque or ish)'. Cracks me up. Cobert is the only thing making sense on TV nowadays. Isn't that crazy? I loved the Bush speech.

 
At 5/19/2006 8:22 AM, Blogger White Man Retarded said...

I love the part when they're flashing his attributes in the opening credits and one says 'Lincoln(esque or ish)'. Cracks me up. Cobert is the only thing making sense on TV nowadays. Isn't that crazy? I loved the Bush speech.

 
At 5/19/2006 2:14 PM, Blogger Richard Quick, Millionaire said...

If you like stephen Colbert, you’ll love:

STEPHEN COLBERT: THE BALLS REPORT.

http://richardquick.blogspot.com

 
At 5/19/2006 7:19 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Not a very nice link, dude.

I'm not a liberal and I think Colbert is damn funny. Stewart too. It's a small mind that can only appreciate humor and talent when it comes from someone with whom they share an ideology.

 
At 5/20/2006 6:38 AM, Anonymous Susan M said...

I saw one of Colbert's shows where he told a guest he was an Independent, and I think he was actually being honest. But it's so hard to tell--that's his genius. Plus, his interviews are hilarious.

 
At 5/20/2006 11:34 PM, Blogger Standard Chuck said...

Conservatives usually find people mocking conservatives funny without understanding the underlying fact that conservatives are being mocked, not for observational humor, but rather because they are pure, unadulterated evil.

I wag my finger at your family values, utah.

Sincerely, C. "I hate FOX news" N.

 
At 5/21/2006 4:09 AM, Blogger Tom said...

Chuck, I see you're a student of the George W. Bush/Pat Robertson school of rhetoric.

My turn: I shake my righteous fist at your fetus killing, libertine dissipation, o Babylon.

(A shake of the fist, especially if it's a righteous one, always beats a wag of the finger.)

(FYI: Scissors beat finger, but not fist; and paper beats fist, but not finger.)

 
At 5/21/2006 4:27 AM, Blogger Tom said...

Oh, and I never said I was a conservative, just that I'm not a liberal. And even though I may be considered conservative on a few issues, that doesn't make me a Republican or Bush loyalist or Fox News fan. So more often than not Colbert and stewart are mocking people with whom I don't identify. At the same time, I'm not aligned ideologically with the Stewarts and Colberts, even if I do agree with Stewart's vision of what the political discourse in this country should be like.

 
At 5/22/2006 7:45 PM, Blogger White Man Retarded said...

I hate libs and cons. Kill them all.

 
At 3/15/2007 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home