Imaginary Brazilian Revolution

Brazil is a state of carefree serenity. Brazil is attained by forsaking sanity.

Return . . . I will . . . to old . . . Brazil.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Hiroshima

Another life-changing experience to report. This morning we watched a Japanese movie called Visitor Q, directed by Takashi Miike, who is also responsible for Audition and The Happiness of the Katakuri's. I thought Audition and THOTK were both pretty excellent movies; a little gruesome maybe, but certainly not horrifying or sickening. Well...okay, they were more than a little gruesome, but not ridiculously so. Let's say they both registered about a 7 on the disturbing scale, with Se7en being an 8 and A Clockwork Orange being a 10. That gives you an idea of the critical scale we're working with here. I consider myself something of a connoisseur/ aficionado of disturbing cinema. I appreciate the virtues of the grotesque and have always tried to pursue it actively. On the disturbing scale, out of 10 possible stars, Visitor Q was about a 16. I am not joking. This film went above and beyond disturbing. It was awful. Absolutely awful. It was shocking and provoking and horrible in every sense of the word. This morning we scraped the grime from the bottom of the cinematic barrel. We hit rock bottom. (My roommates and I, that is.) I won't elaborate on the plot or any events of the film because I do not wish to subject you to the horrors I have subjected myself to.

My life changed because I loved the movie. It was fantastic, life-altering, and I've decided that if I like to be disturbed that much, then I have a problem and need to seek some sort of professional help. I'm ashamed of myself. I'm calling a witchdoctor to exorcise me. Or maybe a hypnotist who can close the portals of my mind that enjoy such filth. Not a Japanese hypnotist though. I don't trust 'em any more. Not after this mornings horrible, horrible rollercoaster. From now on everybody's going to think I'm racist against Japanese people. I'm not. I'm just afraid of them. Freakin' sickos. Every last one of them.

7 Comments:

At 3/28/2006 8:16 PM, Anonymous Susan M said...

Have you ever seen--darn, what's it called....El Topo? No that's not the one I've seen--same director though. I'm thinking of Santa Sangre.

 
At 3/29/2006 9:37 AM, Blogger Tom said...

I guess there's a bright side--at least you are disturbed by it. You don't think any of what you see is a good idea, I hope.

Is the disturbing material in the service of any higher goal? Or is it just disturbing for the sake of being disturbing?

Susan, I thought you studiously avoided violent movies. I'm guessing it's just images that affect you--isn't there a lot of gruesomeness in doom metal? Or is that just death metal?

 
At 3/29/2006 10:17 AM, Anonymous Susan M said...

I used to watch a lot of disturbing stuff. You build up a tolerance for that stuff. I lost my tolerance for it long ago. As a teen me and my friend loved to rent the Faces of Death videos. (Real footage of people dying--supposedly. One video showed autopsies at the LA Morgue.)

I actually have an audio processing disorder that I think explains my love of doom metal. I think the low frequencies are what does it for me. I don't hear it as being dark, or angry, or doomy. It sounds like audio sunshine to me. It literally makes me happy. Those growly vocals? They crack me up.

Death and doom don't have a lot of gruesomeness in the lyrics (I think--I don't actually know what a lot of the bands are singing about). I think you're thinking of black metal. That's the stuff that can get pretty bad. They're the ones who wear corpsepaint, etc.

High on Fire, a pretty popular doom metal band, actually have a lot of biblical references in the lyrics.Their lyrics are pretty gothic/mythical.

 
At 3/31/2006 1:47 AM, Blogger Tyler said...

I think it was disturbing just to be disturbing. Leads to some interesting questions about artistic integrity, no? Should I appreciate the movie less due to it's possible lack of noble aims? Should I appreciate it more for exercising the very human goal of provoking me to higher/lower thinking? The film did stretch me out intellectually...and it was something *new*, a quality which I seek out in art. It was base and intolerably proud of its baseness though, which is not noble and not desirable.

It's a satisfying feeling to me to not be precisely sure where I stand. If I lack steady footing, I can deny all moral responsibility and continue on ignorantly and irresbonsibly. It's the American way!

And no...nothing depicted in the film could even be momentarily justified as a good idea. Nothing at all.

 
At 3/31/2006 3:37 PM, Blogger White Man Retarded said...

Hey! I watched all of the Faces Of Death when I was a teen; you could tell in the latter part of the series alot was staged though. Weird, I forgot about that. Maybe it was because we irradiated about four generations of Japanese that they produce crazy stuff. Look at anime...Remember Mothra? Please return the egg, said the twins. Please return the egg. I have a theory on why people like the music they do.

 
At 4/03/2006 11:17 AM, Blogger White Man Retarded said...

It occurred to me we did nuke the crap out them TWICE! Wouldn't you be a little twisted?

 
At 4/03/2006 8:54 PM, Blogger Tom said...

That explains the Japanese, Patrick, but what excuse do the Swedes have? The disgusting perverts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home